Green Sea Turtles

Green Sea Turtles

Sea turtles are large turtles that live in the ocean. They can reach 1.5 meters in length. Sea turtles are mostly herbivores meaning they eat plants, not meat. They feed mainly on sea-grass, but are known to sometimes eat jellyfish.

Like all turtles, green sea turtles need to bask (aka sun tan). Basking prevents algae from growing on their shells. Turtles will bask on the beach for many hours at a time.

Sea turtles usually live to be about 80 years old if they reach maturity. I think that it is amazing that they can live that long! The only real dangers for these turtles are humans and sometimes large sharks. When they first hatch, they have many more creatures to worry about. These are: Crabs, seagulls, raccoons, other birds etc.

These large, graceful, ocean dwelling reptiles are sadly endangered.

The reason why they are threatened is mainly because of getting caught in fishing nets. The other reasons are habitat loss, caused by development near or on nesting sites, and pollution of course. 🙁

Although green sea turtles lay almost 200 eggs, many of them don’t survive their first night of hatching, because of predators, or because the city lights lead them the wrong way when they are trying to follow moonlight into the water. People sell “turtle safe” lights that prevent this from happening. I don’t think that will help a lot though.

Green sea turtles live mainly in tropical waters, but migrate to different places.

The good news is that there are groups that are trying to save the sea turtles!

Post edited by: Jordan and Jack

Image Credits: Honu (Green Sea Turtle) by kahunapulej, and Beaching by jurvetson

16 thoughts on “Green Sea Turtles

1. Hey Jared, I like that post!
    When I was in Hawaii, I swam with a wild sea turtle! And we saw a whole bunch “basking” on the beach. I think they look so cool in the water. I watched this show and it showed the baby turtles that had just hatched and they had to crawl into the water and try not to get eaten by crabs, birbs, and rodents. Then once they got in the water, they had to watch out for fish, bigger turtles and sharks. The survival rate of the baby turtles survival is very low. I created my about page and I was hoping you could come check it out!
    See ya later!
    P.S. I love your new scooter bars!

2. Hey Jared,
    I think your new theme is really cool.
    I want to congratulate you on getting 11,000 visitors!
    That’s crazy man.
    I was wondering if you could check out my post about longboards, tell me what you think!
    Jackson

3. Pingback: Huzzah! - We’re Cooking with Gas!

4. Hey Jared! When I was in Hawaii last year, I saw 27 green sea turtles in total! I kept track in a notebook. :p I swam with a bunch in “Shark Bay” although I didn’t see any sharks… It is so sad how people destroy the habitats and kill these majestic creatures. Have you swam with sea turtles?

Bye for now, Max

• Hey Max. I swam with a few in Hawaii actually, but I didn’t see 27 of them. You were pretty lucky! I went to a place called “Shark’s Cove” and it may be the same place but with a different name.
      Thanks for commenting!

5. I went to an Island in the Philippines that was named after these turtles. They are called Pawikan there thus Pawikan island. The turtles lay their eggs in that island and they are protected.

6. Hey Jared,
    The pictures of the turtles are very cute! You talk a lot about turtles and I think that topic isn’t very interesting! Good Post!
    -Peyton

• Hey Peyton,
      I’m glad you liked the post, but why don’t you think turtles are interesting? (Just wondering). Maybe If you knew more about them you would be interested?
      Thanks for commenting!

7. Pingback: Peyton's School Blog » Blog Archive » Week 9: Game

8. Hi

I love turtles me and my friends found some baby turtles on the grass and we set them free in the dam it was very cool

Bye