My Turtle’s Birthday!

Happy Birthday Squirt!

On September 12, 2011, Squirt had her first birthday! I have never celebrated a turtles birthday before so we both had an experience. We made a cake (not for her to eat) and sang happy birthday. While we were singing, Squirt spent the whole time hiding in her shell. I guess she didn’t like it that much. For her present, we got her a can of tuna. She enjoyed that very much!

I am very proud to be a turtle owner for a whole year now. The time seemed to pass by so quick. You know what they say: “Time fly’s when you’re having fun.”

When I first got him.

More Recent

Photos taken by me!

31 thoughts on “My Turtle’s Birthday!

1. Happy (Belated) Birthday Squirt!

You should have put a candle in his tuna!
    (I didn’t know turtles ate canned tuna!)

Have a great year Squirt!(and Jared)

2. Hi Jared! Hey Squirt and Akiko! Or should I say Kiku? I know this is a bit late but… Happy Birthday Squirt! Jared, I’m thinking I might, just might get a turtle as I can’t get a snake but turtles are the second best thing, what turtle would you recommend and how much is it?

Bye for now, Max

• Hi Max! I would totally suggest Mississippi map turtles like I have, but if you’re looking for a smaller turtle, the razor-back musk turtle would be what you are looking for. These are turtles that are available where we live. Here are some specifications of the turtles:

Mississippi Map Turtle:
      About $60
      5 inches to 11 inches

Razor-Back Musk Turtle:
      About $180
      4 inches to 6 inches.

Hope this helps!

3. Hello Jared
    Happy late birthday Squirt!
    And have fun too!
    Any ways, like Max, I am also thinking about getting a turtle and I was wondering how much it would cost for a tank, a turtle, and food ( water is no problem if it isn’t special? What turtle should I get? (not to expensive (under $300) but cool).

Thanks Jack 🙂

• Hi Jack!
      It really depends on where you get it for the price of an aquarium. Food wouldn’t be a worry because they don’t eat too much. I only spent about 30 dollars in a whole year. The water is not special, you just have to let it sit out overnight before you change it to get the chlorine out of it. If you are willing to pay more, (about 180 dollars) you could get a smaller turtle (a razor back musk) or you could get a bit of a larger growing turtle (mississippi map turtle) for about 65 dollars.
      For more information, go here: http://jaredh4.edublogs.org/turtle-care/

See Ya

4. Hi Jared,
    Happy birthday, Squirt! I hope that can of tuna tasted good. Maybe next time Jared you should sing happy birthday a little quieter so Squirt doesn’t get scared.

5. Hi Jared and squirt,
    Happy super belated Birthday Squirt. When I was little I really wanted a turtle. What would you say is the best part of having a turtle? Are there any downsides to having a turtle? I wish you many great years to come with squirt.
    Thank you very much.
    From: Mara

• Hello!
      It is hard to say what the best part of having a turtle is because I pretty much like everything about it. One good thing is that if you are busy then it doesn’t matter if you leave them alone for a while, especially if you have two. They are also interactive and each one is so different. One of my turtles is really shy and the other one likes being held and played with. The only downside that I can think of is that the equipment is expensive.
      Thanks for commenting!

6. Hi Jared

Happy Belated Birthday Squirt! We do the the same thing with my dog, except we make a dog friendly cake for her. Sometimes I invite my friends and their dogs over too! What type of turtles do you have? How long have you had Akiko for?
    See you at school! -Sophie

• Hi Sophie,
      I was wondering, what is a dog friendly cake made of?
      The turtles I have are Mississippi Map turtles.
      I have had Akiko for 2 months less than Squirt.
      Thanks for commenting!

• Hi Jared!

Dog friendly cakes are made of human food that dogs can eat. The cake that I made was a peanut butter cake because my dog loves peanut butter. You can also look up ‘dog friendly cakes’ in google. Bye!

-Sophie

7. Hi Jared and Squirt!

Happy belated birthday! I hope you had fun and ate lots of yummy turtle treats with lots of turtle presents! I love turtles, I really want to get one. But for now I’m fine, because I have a dog. Her name is Kita, (Keeta) and she is a Husky/Lab. She’s 14. 🙂

Well anyway, I hope you have fun!
    Summer.

8. Happy birthday Squirt and hi Jared, I am glad Squirt liked her tuna and maybe the song was not such a good idea!
    I was just wondering if there was a theme to the cake like the cake shaped like a turtle or any thing please let me know.

From Jordan

9. Hola
    Squirt is adorable! Does he always swim or does he tread those adorable tiny feet onto land and if he does what does he do on land?

• I consider myself very lucky to have turtles. I have recently been asking my mom if I can get a Russian tortoise as well but I don’t think that will happen. Maybe when I am older though!
      Thanks for commenting!

10. Hello Jared! My name is Tori, and I am in Mrs.Gregory’s 6th grade class. Your blog about turtles is amAzInG! I love how you talk about turtles! They are my favorite Sea Creature! Russian Tortoise are my favorite! But your facts are soo good about them. Good Job 😀
    Tori8 ( tori )
    Ps. visit my blog: http://www.tori8.edublogs.org

11. Hi Jared my name is Isabelle I am in Mr. Rankin’s class in Lacmbe.I hope your turtle has a great birthday. I used to have a turtle her name was Pixie. I went to Maui and saw a big Green Sea Turtle
    (I accidentally touched it.) Have a great day, bye.

Isabelle (: